Unplugging

So I haven't written in a while... since May, to be precise. In my mind, I have three posts outlined, especially one about the virtual art museum my students created in the last couple of weeks of school, but summer is removing all sense of urgency from my activities. Let me rephrase: summer is removing the urgency from all school-related activities. Hence, a post about unplugging.


Nowadays, it's easy to forget to unplug. My iPhone doubles as my alarm clock; the last thing I did last night before turning out the light was read a chapter of an e-book on my iPad while playing Words with Friends with my stepsister in Florida on my iPhone. (She's kicking my butt, to my chagrin.) People (pundits, commentators, journalists, bloggers) might use that kind of unhealthy habit to decry the pervasiveness of technology and urge us all to become Luddites, if only for a week. But I've never been so addicted to technology that I've felt it was necessary to detox from it.

However, I do feel, deeply and with great conviction, that I must disconnect from school during the summer. I won't complain about the intensity of the workload during the school year--I assume that whoever reads this blog is intimately familiar with it--but I'll mention it just to illustrate my point. As much as I love to teach, in the summer I love, with the same amount of passion, to sit on my balcony with a really good book, sleep until 8 a.m. (shocker!), go to the long morning yoga class, shop for groceries at 2 p.m. when the supermarket is empty, watch multiple seasons of "30 Rock" without feeling guilty, and spend far too much time pinning bridal bouquets on my Pinterest board. This is Summer Me. No apologies, no excuses.

I couldn't do my summer non-schedule for my whole life; jeez, I'd probably become a "Real Wife of Hartford County" or similar. No, this dormancy allows me to return to school in late August refreshed, excited and full of a freshman-like idealism about the school year to come. I see that a lot of the educators I follow on Twitter or on their blogs don't seem to take much of a break. It's entirely likely that they are better people than I, more committed to the cause of education, more effective teachers. And I'm totally okay with that. Because it's summer, and the only thing I've got to think about right now is the next chapter in the novel I'm reading.

Comments